Many people don’t fully understand exactly what chiropractic care involves nor how it can benefit them and their overall health and wellbeing. Many people are surprised to learn that a chiropractic appointment is much more than simply an intense massage. In fact, there are a variety of different elements to chiropractic care that mean that it is widely considered to be an extremely safe and successful treatment for a variety of different health problems, including treating back and muscle pain, for which it is best known.
In order to properly appreciate and understand how chiropractic care can benefit you, you must understand how and why the spine is one of the most integral components of our body.
Why is our spine so important?
We all know that our spine is essential for helping us to stand and move around. Most of us also know that it houses the spinal cord which is a crucial part of our central nervous system. The spinal column itself is made up of approximately 33 individual bones that are all stacked on top of one another. In between each bone, or vertebra, is a small cushion of gel. These cushions are what enables our spine to bend and flex. They also help absorb impact when we walk or move around. In the very center of each vertebra is a space, and these allow the spinal cord to pass through the length of our spine, from the very bottom up to the stem of the brain.
The primary function of the spinal cord is to send information from the brain to the body and vice versa. These messages are transmitted via neurons that pass through the spinal cord. If there is a problem with the bones of the spine or the surrounding muscles, it can have a variety of negative effects from pain and limited mobility to loss of bladder and bowel function and partial or total paralysis.
Chiropractic care and the spine
One of the main reasons that the spine is so important in chiropractic care is that research has shown that spinal manipulations, also called subluxations, have been shown to help alleviate a large number of physical aches and pains, as well as certain neurological symptoms. Exactly how your spine will need to be manipulated will depend on the type of pain or problem you are experiencing. Massage may be used, but your chiropractor may also move your entire body into different positions to alleviate pressure on parts of the spine and alleviate your symptoms.
In addition to spinal manipulation, your chiropractor can also offer a range of complimentary advice and support. This may include:
- Dietary and nutritional advice
- Therapeutic massage
- Physical therapy exercises
- Pain medications
- Mediation and natural pain management
- Preventative advice, for example changing your mattress or improving your posture at work
How can I benefit from chiropractic care?
Studies have shown that there are a wide range of different benefits patients who opt for chiropractic care can expect to experience. These include:
- A natural, drug-free way of alleviating pain and associated symptoms.
- A low-risk treatment with virtually no side effects.
- A boost to the immune system meaning patients are often less likely to develop minor viruses and illnesses.
- Better quality sleep.
- Reduced stress and improved mental health.
- A customizable treatment that can be tailored to your specific needs, for example if you fall pregnant and no longer lay on your stomach, your chiropractor can find an alternative way to treat you.
Chiropractic care can also help to alleviate the symptoms of a variety of other health problems including:
- Bowel problems such as Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
- Ear infections
- Lower, unspecified back pain
- Persistent headaches
- Conditions involving chronic pain such as Fibromyalgia and Lupus
- Anxiety and depression
- Fertility problems
- Menstruation problems
- Gastrointestinal disorders
- Obesity and problems related to obesity such as diabetes and arthritis
When you seek out the assistance of an experienced and skilled chiropractor, you will not only receive relief from your symptoms, but your professional will work with you to discover the underlying cause of your pain and discomfort. Together you can then determine what changes are needed to create a permanent improvement in your health and wellbeing. To find out more about the benefits of chiropractic care, please contact our offices.